Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Reflections : My Journey as a SIMC student


Chapter 1- New Beginnings

They say sunsets bring out the philosopher in a person. It’s not really true- wherever u are and whatever u do the key catalyst to reflect your thoughts down on a piece of paper is MOOD. Be it in the baking sun, or a bad day at work, if u have the mood to write u can churn out quite a few masterpieces (it did work for J.K . Rowling on a moving train didn’t it).

The weather in Calcutta at the moment is every romantic’s delight. The cold wind gushing in, and the little droplets of water spraying on my face through the window, will make every girly girl out here want to be with someone special, holding hands and getting drenched in the rain. For me, the weather works as what works during sunset by the sea side- it’s bringing the philosopher me, out.

As the rain gushes down the streets, I sit and reflect the journey of my life gone by in this one year.  This one year has taught me the art of survival, something that was long overdue in this cocoon called HOME.
The thought of hostel life scared the hell out of me since childhood. I used to consider it a means of doing something really offensive to mom and dad to attain this punishment—sort of like being  a criminal and staying in jail for so and so years. Mom and Dad on the other hand used these “hostel” threats to make humans out of me and bro.

Studying in a Christian missionary school and a Convent  College didn’t help either, rather it lead to conservation of thoughts towards life. I mean if u had teachers and missionaries male bashing in the name of “value education” what do you expect??

Getting a call from institutes like TSJ, TISS, ACJ, XIC, Christ University and SIMC were a sigh of relief . After numerous personal issues, I really required a break from this city. City of Joy didn’t seem joyous at the moment. Narrowing down to SIMC seemed a pretty good decision at that moment. Staying on a hill isolated from the hustle bustle of city life was just what the doctor ordered.
Who knew what I was about to encounter was something more than the idea of “getting away from it all” would do.

Joining SIMC PUNE GROUP 2012 was the first step---made quite a lot of friends  starting with Parag Gopale, whose 1st interaction wid me was on my FB inbox was whether I was getting a Dell or an Acer laptop. He later on became my eyes and ears of SIMC mentioning all the happenings at campus till my arrival—from the boys hostel madness to just the weather.There was Chintan Buch who enlightened me with the fact I shared a room with a guy in the Boys Hostel and enjoyed this fact more than I could digest it! Kingshuk Dutta , my proposed roomie who I now wish every day of my life to be my roomie.

Joining a week later than the others , had a different flavor to it all. For once u feel like a shiny new toy on the shelf who others die to grab hold of. There were texts, wall posts, inbox messages from people who I didn’t even know from college updating me about every little details of what happened in and around SIMC. Kinda gave me a superior feeling for the first time in my life.

Apprehensions, excitement, sadness all seem to imbibe together in this weird sort of mixture on my mind. The 4 hour flight from Calcutta to Mumbai; and an additional 4 hours drive on the highway to Pune, added fuel to the fire.
I remember the excitement and weirdness felt at the same time when mom and dad sat there in my allotted room no 556 and arranged my stuff. Kinda felt like getting married or something and settiling in my new home *bleh*, when suddenly enters this curly hair chic wid specs, dawning a formal shirt and pants. Pooja Udaikumar was her name, she smiled and greeted me to the room with utmost warmth brimming from her 2 inch smile- my roomie no 1.

The time had come for mom and dad to go and leave me behind. We sobbed, we hugged, we promised to look after ourselves and ultimately we had to do the most crucial thing---- we had to let go. I was now beginning to understand how young Ishaan Nandkishore Awasthi felt when his parents and brother left him fending for himself in the hostel at New Era School, Panchgani. The “ma” song played in the background, as the Indica left the campus, leaving me, more than just teary eyed---wailing buckets.
I sat outside the recreation centre crying as if punished for doing something insanely wrong when a FB notification buzzed on my cell . 
It was Parag and it said “hey ..where are u? u were supposed to come today right? Waiting to see u buddy”

The reply  : “Im outside girls hostel crying..missing ma and pa already”

Meanwhile outside the hostel stood a girl who had been watching me mope like a sad puppy.

“Hey, everything ok?” she asked.

“No, Am sorry its my first time at a hostel, kinda home sick already”, said I.

“Aww I understand, I felt the same when my parents dropped me here..” and before she could say anything further , I felt a warm embrace around me like Munnabhai’s Jaadoo Ki Jhappi. Till today I share a special bond with that angel everyone know as Madhuri Joshi.

“Dunworry, Im in room 625, if u need anything at all” she smiled and left.

Enters Parag who looked as jubiliant as in his FB dp.
“Hey why are u crying? Ur a strong girl ya..dunworry, once u meet new people u feel fine “said he.

Indeed I did encounter many individuals, some I got along well, some not really, some who annoyed me, some who I annoyed.

The next few episodes will showcase how truly adventurous my life at SIMC is. So what if Im a silent observer who seems cut off from the rest,  yet annoying the crap out of some! 

Read on to Move on ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment